Batavia School District’s Transportation Department and Illinois Central have finalized the bus routes for all registered bus-riders. To access final bus routes, please log into your student’s PowerSchool account and visit the Transportation page. If you have questions or concerns, please contact the Transportation Department at 630-937-8837.
Keeping Bus-Riders Safe
Before children go back to school or start school for the first time, it is essential that adults and children know and adhere to traffic safety rules provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Walk with your kids to the bus stop and wait with them until it arrives. Tell kids to stand at least three giant steps away from the curb as the bus approaches and board the bus one at a time.
Teach kids to wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before getting off and never to walk behind the bus.
If your child needs to cross the street after exiting the bus, he or she should take five giant steps in front of the bus, make eye contact with the bus driver and cross when the driver indicates it’s safe. Teach kids to look left, right and left again before crossing the street.
Instruct younger kids to use handrails when boarding or exiting the bus. Be careful of straps or drawstrings that could get caught in the door. If your children drop something, they should tell the bus driver and make sure the bus driver is able to see them before they pick it up.
Drivers should always follow the speed limit and slow down in school zones and near bus stops. Remember to stay alert and look for kids who may be trying to get to or from the school bus.
Slow down and stop if you’re driving near a school bus that is flashing yellow or red lights. This means the bus is ether preparing to stop (yellow) or already stopped (red) and children are getting on or off.
Want more tips about how to keep your kids safe on or around school buses? Read more from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
SOURCE: School District 101
- Are You Ready for the First Day of School in Batavia?
- Essential Information for the First Day of School in Batavia
- Everything You Need to Know About Batavia High School…
- How To Get Your Kids Back On The School-Sleeping Schedule
- Where to Find Backpacks for $15 and less: Back to School…
- In Batavia, the Worst Thing About Heading Back to School Is…
- 5 Easy School Lunch Ideas That Are Healthy, Too
- BPS101 Welcomes 36 New Teachers During Induction Program
- What Day Does School Start in Batavia, IL?
- Back-to-School: Online Deals to Save Parents Money