Sunday, March 31, 2013
FINAL UPDATE: An Easter Sunday fire caused an estimated $250,000 damage to a home on St. Charles' East Side. Here's what happened ...
A house fire at 608 State Ave. in St. Charles about 12:29 p.m. shook up the Easter Sunday for residents and neighbors on the East Side and caused an estimated $250,000 in damage. No one was injured. The St Charles Fire Department arrived at the blaze by 12:32 p.m. and found heavy smoke showing from all floors of the three-story home, according to a release from the department. “Upon entry, fire was found on all three floors,” the release states. “Due to the size of the fire, the alarm was upgraded to a first level MABAS box alarm, bringing additional assistance to the scene,” the release states. MABAS is an acronym for Mutual Aid Box Alarm System. According to the release, the fire was extinguished in about 2½ hours. But firefighters …
Friday, February 15, 2013
Nine area fire departments respond to a late Valentine's Day Hazmat call at a food packaging plant in Geneva after nitric acid mixes with a chemical solvent.
Nine area Hazmat units responded late Thursday night to an unexpected Valentine's Day chemical reaction at Power Packaging, a food and beverage packaging plant at 2089 Pillsbury Drive in Geneva. Geneva Fire Department Chief Steve Olson said Friday that Hazmat units were called in after nitric acid inadvertently was combined with an organic solvent. "They don’t get along very well," Olson said. Nitric acid is a strong acid and a powerful oxidizing agent and can be explosive when mixed with many organic compounds, such as turpentine, according to Wikipedia. Olson said a technician disposed one chemical into a waste container, "and the result was a chemical reaction. We removed the cabinet and rendered it harmless out there." Asked if the two…
Sunday, January 6, 2013
The dog belongs to a family in the area, fire officials said. Here’s what happened.
A dog was hit by a car Sunday afternoon on Route 31 and did not survive, the Geneva Fire Department said. The crash occurred near North 1st (Route 31) and North streets. Geneva Fire was dispatched to the scene at about 4 p.m., Fire Lt. Fred Tichenor said. The dog, identified as a pit bull by fire officials, was dead when they arrived to the crash. Tichenor said the dogs' owners live in Geneva. They were at the scene and were obviously upset about what happened. The crash took place after the dog got loose, Tichenor said. "The dog ran in the roadway, is my understanding," he said. "It ran towards another dog." The dog was struck by a Nissan Pathfinder sport-utility vehicle traveling northbound on Route 31. The female driving the SUV is from…
Thursday, December 13, 2012
Firefighters knocked down the blaze in about five minutes at 1904 Jeanette Ave.
A candle that was knocked over is being blamed for starting a fire Thursday in St. Charles, authorities said. The St. Charles Fire Department arrived within four minutes of the 3:21 p.m. fire reported at 1904 Jeanette Ave. Firefighters found a small fire at the top of a second-floor staircase. The fire department said the blaze was extinguished in about five minutes, but firefighters remained on the scene until 4:01 to complete salvage operations, checking for fire extension into other areas and conducting the fire investigation. The cause of the fire is attributed to candle which was accidentally knocked over, the department said. An occupant of the home discovered the fire, exited the house and called 911. Authorities said there were no …
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
No serious injuries were reported. Here’s what else we know.
Two sport-utility vehicles were involved in a crash Wednesday that halted rush-hour traffic in Geneva, officials said. The crash occurred on State Street (Route 38) at South Lincoln Avenue. The Geneva Fire Department was dispatched to the scene at 6:12 p.m., Fire Lt. Kevin Forest said. One SUV did end up on its side, but no one had to be transported. Everyone was treated and released at the scene, Forest said. "Everyone was out of their vehicles by the time we got there," he said. Traffic was shut down on Route 38 within minutes of the crash, which occurred while rush hour was in full swing. Forest did not have the exact street closure boundaries, but Anderson Boulevard was closed at Route 38 two blocks east of the crash scene. The crash …
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Geneva and area firefighters report to a house fire at 2010 Sheffield Lane at around 10:20 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28.
Geneva, St. Charles and area firefighters raced to a home at 2010 Sheffield Lane in Geneva after a Tri-Com report that indicated "flames shooting" from the second-floor window at around 10:15 a.m. Tuesday. As of 10:35 a.m., the fire had been put out and appeared to be contained to the single-family home. A neighbor said the residents were not in the house at the time of the fire, but that information is unconfirmed. Geneva police and fire personnel had blocked Sheffield Lane to all traffic. Sheffield Lane, off of Williamburg Avenue, is within a few blocks of Williamsburg Elementary School, but the fire was nowhere near the school, and students there were not in any danger. Geneva Patch will follow up when information is available from …
Friday, August 3, 2012
No one was injured. The fire was determined to be accidental, but the exact cause is under investigation.
- PUBLIC SAFETY
Friday, August 3, 2012
A two-story Frank Lloyd Wright home in downtown Geneva caught fire early Friday morning, according to a report by the Geneva Fire Department. Flames were visible inside the two-story home when firefighters responded to a house fire at 318 S. Fifth St. at approximately 4:07 a.m. Friday, Aug. 3. The home was known as the P.D. Hoyt House and built in 1906 by Frank Lloyd Wright, according to the mcnees.org website and The Frank Lloyd Wright Tour website. Upon arrival, initial responding companies found visible smoke showing from the first and second floors and located a working fire on the first floor. The fire was confined to the first floor, with smoke damage throughout the house. The residents were at home at the time of the fire and were…
Friday, July 20, 2012
Downtown traffic was snarled as area departments reported to a house fire in Geneva's Historic District.
Multiple fire departments, emergency personnel and police reported to a house fire around 2:20 p.m. Friday, July 20, in the 300 block of South First Street in Geneva. The interior of a home in Geneva's Historic District appeared to have been badly burned. Windows were broken and firefighters rested under a shade tree at around 2:40 p.m. after battling the fire and smoke. First Street (Route 31), Second Street, Franklin Street and other side streets were blocked by police and fire vehicles. A Tri-Com scanner report said the fire was officially out by 2:52 p.m. Friday, but that was unconfirmed at the time of this article. Geneva Patch will follow up when information is made available by official sources.
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
The city of Geneva is banning open burning temporarily
The city of Geneva sent an e-mail at 9:27 a.m. Wednesday informing residents of a ban on open burning. Due to increasing drought levels and extremely warm temperatures, an open fire ban is in place for the city of Geneva until further notice by order of the Geneva Fire Department. Consideration for lifting the restriction will be based in part on a significant change in the current drought conditions. "The ban includes fire pits, portable fireplaces, outdoor fireplaces without a spark arrestor and campfires. Residents are also reminded that the use of any kind of firework or other pyrotechnic device is illegal under state statute," said Deputy Fire Chief Jerry Koster. "We want people to enjoy the outdoors, but the danger is too high to be…
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
The Geneva Fire Department's response to a gas leak Tuesday at 321 Stevens St. helps clear the air and maintain safety while repairs are made.
The stores at 321 Stevens St. are back in business following a Tuesday gas leak in one of the suites. Geneva Deputy Fire Chief Mark Einwick said Wednesday that the leak was in a gas feed to a stove. The leak has been fixed, he said. Firefighters responded to the gas leak report at around 3:28 p.m. Tuesday. Emergency personnel ventilated the building using fans and called Nicor for repair help. According to a sign in front of the building, 321 Stevens St. houses Prana Yoga Center, Mitchell Manz Photography, G. Klemm Roofing Co., Cabinets at Danada Studio West, Havlicek Builders Inc., Chef James, Signature Tech Studio and the Water Bowl.