Rotolo Middle School
Office: 630-937-8700; Attendance: 630-937-8703
Rotolo Middle School is one of only 23 schools statewide designated as an Illinois Horizon School to Watch. Schools are judged by their academic excellence, response to development, organizational structure and social equity.
Rotolo is the only middle school in Batavia Public School District 101. Before the school opened in 1992, the district operated a junior high school and a separate location for sixth-grade students.
The middle school is located on the city's east side and was named after Sam Rotolo, the first principal of Batavia Junior High School.
Sixth, seventh and eighth-graders attend classes in separate wings of the building. Students attend their exploratory classes in the arts and other subjects in a separate wing with student-decorated ceiling tiles.
- Fax: 630-937-8701
- Hours: School year hours: Mon - Fri, 8am - 4:30pm; Summer hours: Mon - Fri, 8am - 12pm; Sat - Sun, closed
- Handicap Accessible: Elevator to second floor
- Founding Date: 1992
- Number of students: 1,500
- Public/Private: Public
- Financial aid: Yes
- Religious affiliation: None
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: free
- How engaged is the school with the community?: "It’s really neat to have the building used all the time by community groups," Rotolo Middle School Principal Stephen Maciejewski said. "We want people to see it as a community school."
- What makes this community special?: "Batavia has always maintained a feel of it being a small-town community, even though it’s really not such a small-town community anymore," Maciejewski said.
- Grade levels: Sixth through eighth grades
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Language lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Band, chorus, orchestra
- Student clubs: Yearbook, Student council, Building Club, Ski Club, Foods Club, Art Club, Batavia Robotics Club, Ecomaniacs Club, Future Problem Solving Club, Bicycle Club, Writing Club, Science Club, Mostly Math
- Sports teams: Football, cross county, volleyball, basketball, wrestling, cheerleading, track