Grace McWayne Elementary School
Office: 630-937-8100; Attendance: 630-937-8103
Grace McWayne Elementary School sits on a hill on Batavia's west side. The school serves students from Batavia, the village of Elburn and Geneva who live within Batavia Public School District 101 boundaries.
The school is named after Grace McWayne, who taught in Batavia schools for almost 60 years.
The Grace McWayne school building layout is the exact same as Hoover-Wood Elementary School on Batavia's east side. The schools opened on the same day: Aug. 28, 2001.
- Fax: 630-937-8101
- Hours: School year: Mon - Fri, 8am - 4:30pm. Summer: Mon - Fri, 8am - noon
- Handicap Accessible: There are ramps and elevators.
- Founding Date: 2001
- Number of students: 504
- Public/Private: Public
- Financial aid: Yes
- Religious affiliation: None
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: free
- Number of faculty: 36 certified faculty, 11 non-certified staff
- How engaged is the school with the community?: "We have strong parent support and work to partner with the community in many ways," Grace McWayne Principal Kevin Skomer said.
- What makes this community special?: "I think that it’s a small-town feel that’s supportive and respectful of each other," Skomer said. "There’s the idea that everyone is looking out for one another."
- Montessori: No
- Grade levels: K-5
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Library
- Extracurricular activities available: Band, chorus, orchestra, Battle of the Books