Friday, Aug. 16, 2013
(1) The Free Friday Concert Series in Batavia concludes Aug. 16 with Cattleprod, a Georgia-meet-Illinois rock and blues band. The concerts are sponsored by Music Matters School of Music in partnership with Batavia Mainstreet and BATV.
(2) LIVE MUSIC @ Geneva Wine Cellars and Tasting Room: Dave's NOT HERE Band
(3) The Arcada Theatre, 105 E. Main St., hosts its first Equine Film Festival through Sunday, Aug. 18, with films twice daily. Check out the lineup on the Arcada’s Info page for the festival. The festival leads into this weekend’s Festival of the Horse and Drum.
(4) STC Live! brings more local entertainment to liven up downtown St. Charles during the evening. On Wednesday, Plaza Folk Unionperforms from 6 to 9 p.m. in First Street Plaza, along with the music of Carl King from 7 to 8 p.m. at Kimmer’s Ice Cream, 1 W. Illinois St., and the Magic of Arman Sangalang from 7 to 8 p.m. at Main Street and Route 31.
Saturday, Aug. 17, 2013
(1) Chef Competition at Batavia Library! Teens are invited to participate in a friendly competition to see who can create the tastiest, best-looking dish using a "secret" ingredient. All ingredients are provided by the Library. Prizes are awarded! Register today, online at www.BataviaPublicLibrary.org or call (630) 879-1393, ext. 200. Spectators welcome.
(2) The Festival of the Horse and Drum, a locally sponsored, first-of-its -kind event at the Kane County Fairgrounds in St. Charles, which runs Saturday and Sunday. It’s being billed as the first “Equestrian Multicultural Multimedia Event” of its kind, and “promises to be the most ‘fun at a horse fair’ the public will ever have!” It runs from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.
(3) Cardboard Boat Race! Cheer for your favorite Cardboard Boat at the 11th Annual Fox Valley United Way Cardboard Boat Race, 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 17, at Phillips Park's Mastodon Lake in Aurora. See which boat wins the Most Spectacular Sinking Award!
(4) Friends of the Viking Ship viewing at Good Templar Park. The "Viking Visitor's Day" is from 1 to 4 p.m., describing the ship's amazing voyage from Bergen, Norway, to the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition and its subsequent adventures.
(5) Casey's Safe Haven Holding a Dog and Puppy Adoption Event Saturday 8/17!
(6) Equine Film Festival, hosted by the Arcada Theatre, 105 E. Main St., with films twice daily through Sunday. Check out the lineup on the Arcada’s Info page for the festival.
Sunday, Aug. 18, 2013
(1) Graham's Sundae 5K takes place from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Registration packet pickup is Aug. 16 and Aug. 17 at Graham's Fine Chocolate and Ice Cream, 302 S 3rd Street in Geneva. All runners and walkers will receive a short sleeve race shirt and a Graham's Ice Cream Sundae following the race, which starts near the Geneva Government Center.
(2) Geneva French Market happens every Sunday rain or shine now through November 10. The French Market features farm fresh produce, fresh flowers, baked goods, jewelry, handcrafted items and more. The French Market is held in the parking lot at South Street and Fourth Street at the Metra Station from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
(3) Adult Dog Adoption Event at Fiora's in Geneva.
(4) The Festival of the Horse and Drum continues from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.
(5) Back-to-School Community Picnic at Immanuel Lutheran