By the end of the night Wednesday, some lucky person might be nearly half a billion dollars richer.
Each Powerball ticket cost $2. Players choose five numbers plus a sixth Powerball number. Players matching all six numbers can select an annuitized amount paid out over 29 years or a lump sum payment. For complete details, visit the Powerball website.
Fox News reports, "if Wednesday's jackpot doesn't top $400 million, a single winner choosing the cash option would collect $230.3 million before taxes. But no matter how many people play the game, the odds of matching all six numbers remains 1 in 175.2 million."
"The record Powerball jackpot was $590.5 million, won in May by an octogenarian of modest means in Florida," CNN reports. "The second-largest jackpot of $587 million was split by two players — one from Arizona and one from Missouri — in November 2012."
Batavians have won a big lottery prize — or a Batavia venue has sold the winning ticket — several times in the past few years.
- Batavia 7-Eleven Sold Winning Lotto Ticket Worth $3 Million
- UPDATE: Batavia Woman Claims $7.2 Million Lotto Prize
- Luck O' the Irish? Batavian Wins Big in Illinois Lottery’s…
Some Batavia Venues to Buy Tickets
- 7 Eleven — 336 E Wilson St, Batavia, IL 60510
- Grand Central Store — 122 E Wilson St, Batavia, IL 60510
- 7-Eleven — 710 E Fabyan Pkwy, Batavia, IL 60510