Some folks like to get their live trees out of the house a day or two after Christmas. Others like to wait for the first of the year or until after the "12 days of Christmas," which ends Jan. 6.
In Batavia, local collection — and this does NOT include wreaths, by the way — is on the usual collection days. There's also an option to drop off your tree or wreath at the Advanced Disposal transfer station in Batavia, although there's a cost associated with that.
Here's some local information, courtesy of a Kane County Environmental Resources press release:
As part of the city of Batavia’s refuse contract, Advanced Disposal will be
picking up live Christmas trees on residents’ regular collection dates. Residents do not have to use a sticker for Christmas tree removal on these dates only. After these dates, residents should affix a refuse/yard waste sticker to the tree and place it at the curb on their regular collection date.
All materials such as plastic bags, ornaments, lights and nails should be removed from the trees. Live wreaths and garland should be placed in your regular refuse. Please adhere to the following schedule:
- South Side (Wilson to the south between Kirk/Randall): Wednesday, Jan. 8, and Wednesday, Jan. 15
- North Side (north of Wilson to Fabyan between Kirk/Randall): Thursday, Jan. 9, and Thursday, Jan. 16
- Far West Side (Randall west to City limits): Friday, Jan. 10, and Friday, Jan. 17.
You can drop trees off at the following locations:
Advanced Disposal (Veolia) Transfer Station
- Location: 766 Hunter Drive (corner of Hubbard & Hunter), Batavia, IL, 60510
- Contact: 630-879-3587
- Hours: M-F 6am-5pm, Sat 6am-10am
- Specs: Please remove all decorations, tinsel, lights, etc.
- Cost: $15
- Note: Special Saturday drop-off, 6am-10am, $25 for a load of mixed material,
- equivalent to a pick-up truck level bed full, can include a tree for no extra cost.
- Location: 1320 Spaulding Rd., Elgin, IL, 60120
- Contact: 847-931-2900
- Hours: M-F, 7am-4pm
- Specs: Please remove all decorations, tinsel, lights, and plastic bags used for
- transporting. Closed Christmas and New Year’s day.
- Cost: $10
SOURCE: Kane County Environmental Resources Division