The following items related to staffing and aldermen took place at Monday's Batavia City Council meeting:
Council Approves Jason Bajor as New Assistant City Administrator
The Batavia City Council appointed Jason Bajor of Des Plaines to the assistant city administrator position.
Bajor has worked in Illinois government for over 10 years in positions such as Human Resources Director, Assistant City Manager and as City Manager of Des Plaines.
The city received about 70 resumes and conducted 13 personal interviews. From there the pool was narrowed down to three candidates, according to a memo from City Administrator Bill McGrath.
Those three candidates went through a two-hour interview with Batavia Mayor Jeff Schielke and Stephanie Dawkins, who has a similar position in Geneva. Next the candidates were invited to make presentations to Schielke, the City Council and the city's department heads, as well as answer their questions. References were also taken into consideration before Bajor was recommended for appointment.
Bajor replaces former Batavia Assistant City Administrator Randy Recklaus, who .
Alderman New and Old Sworn In
Judge Kevin Busch swore in the following aldermen:
- Garren Sparks (incumbent)
- Alan Wolff (incumbent)
- Janet Jungels (serving remainder of four-year term)
- Dan Chanzit (incumbent)
- Susan Stark (newly elected)
- Lucy Thelin Atac (incumbent)
- Lisa Clark (incumbent)
- Dave Brown (incumbent)
Newly elected Alderman Susan Stark pointed out she has learned much through the election process and has much more to learn. Also, sitting Alderman Eldon Frydendall broke the record for the longest-serving alderman. This is Frydendall's 30th year serving the city, Mayor Jeff Schielke said.
Department Heads Appointed
The City Council on Monday appointed or reappointed the city's department heads.
“The 15 department heads are the backbone of our city,” former Alderman Tom Schmitz said.
The appointements are effective May 1, 2011 through April 30, 2012. Here is the list:
- City Administrator: William McGrath
- Assistant City Administrator: Jason Bajor
- Finance Director & Budget Officer: Peggy Colby
- Police Chief: Gary Schira
- Fire Chief: Randy Deicke
- Public Works Director: Gary Holm
- City Engineer: Noel Basquin
- Information Systems Director: Howard Chason
- Community Development Director: Jerry Swanson
- Electric Department Superintendent: Bob Rogde
- Street Department Superintendent: Scott Haines
- Water Department Superintendent: John Dillon
- WWTP Superintendent: Byron Ritchason
- ESDA Coordinator: Jeff Glaser
- City Attorney: Kevin Drendel
To read about action the City Council took Monday on a new restaurant, its Facade Grant program and Streetscape costs, click .
To read about two longtime Batavia High School coaches being honored at Monday's City Council meeting, click .