West Chicago police say that within the past week they have seen an increase in the number of vehicle burglaries, primarily overnight in the downtown residential areas between Washington Street and National Street, as well as Arbor Avenue and Route 59.
The common factor in these cases was that the vehicles were left unlocked, police said in a release issued Monday.
The West Chicago Police Department advises the public to follow these safety tips to help prevent falling victim to car burglary:
- Always roll up your windows and lock all the doors.
- If storing your vehicle in a garage, be sure the garage door is closed.
- Do not keep valuables (wallets, purses, GPS units, cell phones, etc.) in plain view. Either take them with you or secure them in the trunk.
- Never leave your vehicle running and unattended.
- Park your vehicle in well-lit areas.
- Do not hide a spare key in or on your vehicle.
- If you see anyone suspicious near your, or anyone else’s vehicle, call 9-1-1.