.

Knocked-Over Candle Sparks Fire in St. Charles Home

Firefighters knocked down the blaze in about five minutes at 1904 Jeanette Ave.

A candle that was knocked over is being blamed for starting a fire Thursday in St. Charles, authorities said.

The St. Charles Fire Department arrived within four minutes of the 3:21 p.m. fire reported at 1904 Jeanette Ave. Firefighters found a small fire at the top of a second-floor staircase. The fire department said the blaze was extinguished in about five minutes, but firefighters remained on the scene until 4:01 to complete salvage operations, checking for fire extension into other areas and conducting the fire investigation.

The cause of the fire is attributed to candle which was accidentally knocked over, the department said. An occupant of the home discovered the fire, exited the house and called 911.

Authorities said there were no injuries and estimated the loss at $5,000; the home remains habitable.

The St. Charles Fire Department was assisted by the Geneva and Batavia fire departments.

Let Patch save you time. Have local stories delivered directly to your inbox with our free newsletter. Fast signup here. Then like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter at @StCharlsILPatch.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »