VIDEO UPDATE: Fire Destroys Home Near Elburn Monday

Geneva, St. Charles and area fire departments put out a fire that engulfs a home on Springwood Lane near Elburn.

That plume of black smoke you saw on the horizon around 9 a.m. Monday morning was from a fire that engulfed a home on Springwood Lane near Elburn.

Geneva, St. Charles and multiple fire departments reported to the box alarm fire. The first firefighters to respond told Tri-Com Dispatch that the second floor was "fully engulfed" and the fire quickly spread.

Even 45 minutes after the fire started, flames continued to erupt from the interior of the home.

A neighbor said the home was occupied by a couple and their dog, and all were able to exit the building safely. She said a candle caught fire, and when the flames reached the cedar roof, the fire spread quickly.

The address was reported as 3N195 Springwood Lane, but that has yet to be confirmed by fire officials. Springwood Lane is located off of Beith Road, near the detour for Route 47, which is under construction.

The fire took place in a wooded neighborhood with homes in the $500,000 range and up.

Max September 10, 2012 at 07:27 PM
The second major house-fire this month in the area, started by a candle. Are we back to the log-cabin days now, when so many homes were lost to fires from candles and lanterns? Shocking, I know, that irresponsibility should have consequences, but apparently in the suburbs we need candle-control. Last I heard, they are not Constitutionally protected.
Steve Luby September 10, 2012 at 07:59 PM
That's all we need is more government regulation because someone burns their house down with a candle. Then the price of candles will go up and the trial lawyers will start suing the butchers, bakers and candlestick makers.
Firefighter 57 September 12, 2012 at 01:21 AM
Just so all are aware, all other articles I've read say that the occupants don't even know how it started and weren't even in the area of the home where it started. I was a bit shocked to read this and find that a NEIGHBOR "knows" how the fire started...


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »