A 62-year-old woman was hospitalized after a fire early this morning on the city's east side.
The fire was reported at Batavia Apartments with a resident trapped, according to the Batavia Fire Department. The Department was dispatched to the fire at the complex, 1171 E. Wilson St., at 12:24 a.m. this morning.
The fire was contained to one apartment on the first floor. Part of a chair and the rug on the floor had burned, causing the first floor to fill with smoke.
A Batavia police officer and another resident from the building removed the trapped woman from the apartment with fire. The trapped resident was treated and transported to Delnor Hospital.
Careless smoking was determined to be the cause of the fire. The woman that was transported was the smoker, confirmed Randy Banker, a Batavia Fire battalion chief.
The smoke alarms were going off in the apartment building when Batavia Police arrived.
The woman was lying on the floor in front of her apartment door, according to police.
The rug was on fire inside the apartment. Batavia Police Sgt. Shawn Mazza helped the woman away from the unit.
The building's fire alarm alerted the remaining residents to evacuate. No other injuries were noted.
A cigarette butt caught the rug on fire, police said. There was an estimated $2,000 in structural damages and an estimated $5,000 in damages to contents in the complex.
The fire was under control by 12:45 a.m., according to a press release. The Batavia Fire Department ventilated the building for smoke.
A total of 28 personnel were at the fire scene, the release said. The first unit arrived at 12:26 a.m., and the last unit was cleared at 1:43 a.m.