In the past few years, the Tri-Cities have seen the bankruptcy of Borders, the closing of a Caribou Coffee, the abandonment of Blockbuster and the quitting of Quodoba Mexican Grill, to name a few.
Now Dominick's is dumping all of its 72 Chicago-area grocery stores, according to a report in Crain's Chicago Business and other media. The chain, purpchased by California-based Safeway in 1998, was founded in Chicago in 1918.
The Geneva Dominick's is located at 2000 South Randall Road.
A Dominick's store on Route 38 closed in 2010 to consolidate at the Randall Road location. That store was in St. Charles, although many people believed it was located in Geneva because of the Route 38 address. The store later became Geneva Hardware, which closed in 2011.
The Dominick's stores are expected to close by early 2014, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.