A Geneva Education Association press release says a teachers strike will happen Monday.
Geneva Education Association President Carol Young says Thursday's 10-hour negotiating session was productive but did not result in an agreement.
Young said the GEA offered to meet over the weekend, but the School Board task force said Tuesday would be the soonest that talks could resume. The board has a meeting scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Monday.
A press release from School District 304 is expected later this morning.
Geneva Patch will update this post when additional information is available.
Here's the GEA press release:
The following statement may be attributed to Carol Young, president of the Geneva Education Association (GEA).
“The GEA negotiation team met with the Board of Education for approximately 10 hours on Thursday, Nov. 8 in a good-faith attempt to conclude a fair agreement that will serve the needs of students, educators and the community.
“Although we had some productive discussions and exchanged offers, no settlement was reached. The GEA informed the Board that it is available to meet at any time over the weekend and through Monday to continue discussions, but the Board informed us that it is unwilling to schedule another mediation session until Tuesday, Nov. 13.
“Throughout these negotiations, the GEA has modified its offers significantly in a good-faith effort to reach a fair agreement, including agreeing to a Board offer that will freeze salaries for one year (as the Board has demanded) and provides the district with additional savings as well.
“Regrettably, the Board has rejected our offers of compromise. Coupled with its unwillingness to meet further over the weekend, we believe the only course of action available to us at this time is to go out on strike on Monday, Nov. 12.
“As Geneva teachers who dedicate our professional lives to service, we very much regret the necessity of this action. We believe it to be the only thing we can do to advance the cause of fairness and to maintain the quality of Geneva District 304 for the students and community.”
Want to stay up to date on the negotiations issue?
- Like our Geneva Patch Facebook page.
- Follow us on Twitter at @PatchGeneva.
- Sign up for Geneva Patch's newsletter and breaking news alerts.
- Click the "Keep Me Posted" button below this text.
- Schools Post Negotiations Webpage; FAQs Available on GEA, D304 Sites
- Geneva School Board, GEA Resume Talks Friday
- Reports: GEA Members Authorize Strike; Nov. 9 Earliest Possible Strike
- Geneva Teachers Express Frustration Over Stalled Negotiations
- Geneva Teachers Stage 'Walk In' at High School, Middle Schools
- UPDATE: Geneva School Board Calls Special Meeting to Discuss Teacher Negotiations
- Is a Teachers' Strike Possible in Geneva? Green Buttons Show Solidarity on First Day of School
- UPDATE: Teachers Come Out in Force, Wearing Green, to Seek 'Respect and Compensation We All Deserve'
- Geneva School Board Caught Between Budget Rock, Teachers Contract Hard Place
- Patch Poll: How Much of An Increase Should Geneva Teachers Get?
- Batavia Teachers Get Raises in New Two-Year Contract; Geneva Still Negotiating
- Where Do You Stand on the Geneva Teachers' Union Negotiations?
- Geneva Teachers Expected to Picket Before Tuesday School Board
- State Teachers Union Announces Geneva Talks at Impasse
- UPDATE: Geneva Teachers Union Posts Its 'Final Offer'
- District 304: GEA's 'Final Offer' Calls for 18% Salary Hike in Final 3 Years Before Retirement
- Teacher Talks Resume Friday; Here's the Timeline If an Agreement Isn't Reached
- Geneva School Board's 'Final Offer' Made Public
- Geneva Teachers Give Notice of Intent to Strike
- School Board: Union's 'Rigid Stance' Kept Parties Apart for Months; GEA Responds
- Patch Poll: Which Offer Is More Fair to Teachers and Taxpayers?
- UPDATE—Geneva School Board: GEA Filed Intent to Strike While Sitting at Negotiations Table
- Geneva School District Outlines Plans in Case of Teacher's Strike
- GEA Posts Open Letter to Geneva Citizens
- Geneva School Board Releases Its Most Recent Contract Offer; Special Meeting Monday
- 'Show Will Go On' for the GHS Fall Play—Even If There's a Teachers Strike
- Will You Keep Your Kids Home Or Send Them, If There's a Strike?
- VIDEO UPDATE: New Voices Speak, Picketing Rules Set at School District 304 Special Meeting
- Details, Procedures For Geneva Parents, Students in Case of a Teachers Strike
- No Deal Struck Thursday Night in Geneva Teachers Contract Talks, Press Release Coming Later This Morning