Newtown Celebrates Acts of Kindness on Charlotte Bacon's Birthday [VIDEOS]
At Newtown Kindness's Charlotte Bacon Awards, parents Joel and JoAnn Bacon and grandparents Dan and Lindie Bacon, formerly of Batavia and St. Mark's Church in Geneva, remember her personality and thank organizers for their work.
Dan and Lindie Bacon are former missionaries of St. Mark's Church in Geneva and former residents of Batavia. They moved to Newtown, CT, last year to help raise their grandchildren, including 6-year-old Charlotte Bacon, who died in the shooting at Sandy Hill Elementary School in Newtown.
Charlotte would have turned 7 on Feb. 22.
About 100 people flocked to Newtown Healing Center this past weekend to celebrate Charlotte's birthday by recognizing random acts of kindness. Awards are given to kids who did special things to help others, from reading to senior citizens to simply opening the door.
At Newtown Kindness's Charlotte Bacon Awards, parents Joel and JoAnn Bacon remembered her personality and thanked organizers for their work. Dan and Lindie also were there, and you can see Dan interviewed in the attached YouTube video.
"There was this sort of certain boldness about her. You know, she'd see something, she'd go after it, very independent," Dan says in the interview. "In their group, I think it was 10 children, but 6 of them were killed and it's not only the loss of your daughter. It's the loss of these children that meant so much to you. It's the loss of opportunities.
"It's a good, bad day. It's a hard day, but it's a wonderfully encouraging day too," he said.
For more from this weekend's coverage of the Charlotte Bacon Act of Kindness Awards, see these articles on Newtown Patch:
- Kids from near and far receive awards
- Two Monroe girls will follow their award with a special journal project for Sandy Hook kids at Chalk Hill School
- Geneva Reacts: How to Talk to Your Kids After Today's Tragedy in Newtown, CT
- Former Batavians Lose Granddaughter in Newtown Tragedy
- Geneva Elementary School Underlines Safety in Wake of Sandy Hook Tragedy
- Update: Local Church Reaches Out To Family of Girl in Newtown Shooting
- Charlotte Bacon Visitation Dec. 18, Memorial Service Dec. 19
- Charlotte Bacon Visitation Tuesday, Memorial Service Wednesday
- St. Mark's Church Reaches Out To Family of Girl in Newtown Shooting
- Dick's Sporting Goods, Walmart Pull Some Firearms After Newtown Shooting
- Grieving Has Just Begun in Newtown
- Vigil Remembers 1-Month Anniversary of Newtown Tragedy