UPDATE: Soldering Work Sparks Fire at The Holmstad Retirement Center
And quick work by Batavia, Geneva and North Aurora firefighters saves the day.
Emergency units from Geneva, Batavia and North Aurora quickly put out a fire that was reported at around 12:36 p.m. Thursday at the Holdstad retirement community, 700 W. Fabyan Parkway.
Fire crews from multiple departments—Batavia, Geneva and North Aurora—arrived at the scene after a report of smoke in Building A, and the dispatch was upgraded to a general alarm.
Firefighters inside discovered a small fire had started in wall of a bathroom on first floor, according to a press release from the Batavia Fire Department.
"The fire appears to have started while maintenance personnel were soldering broken water pipe in the wall, igniting building materials," the press release said.
The fire was extinguished, and firefighters checked the first, second and third floors to make sure the fire had not extended to other areas.
No one was hurt, and no one had to be evacuated due to the fire.