VIDEO UPDATE: Fire Destroys Home Near Elburn Monday
Geneva, St. Charles and area fire departments put out a fire that engulfs a home on Springwood Lane near Elburn.
That plume of black smoke you saw on the horizon around 9 a.m. Monday morning was from a fire that engulfed a home on Springwood Lane near Elburn.
Geneva, St. Charles and multiple fire departments reported to the box alarm fire. The first firefighters to respond told Tri-Com Dispatch that the second floor was "fully engulfed" and the fire quickly spread.
Even 45 minutes after the fire started, flames continued to erupt from the interior of the home.
A neighbor said the home was occupied by a couple and their dog, and all were able to exit the building safely. She said a candle caught fire, and when the flames reached the cedar roof, the fire spread quickly.
The address was reported as 3N195 Springwood Lane, but that has yet to be confirmed by fire officials. Springwood Lane is located off of Beith Road, near the detour for Route 47, which is under construction.
The fire took place in a wooded neighborhood with homes in the $500,000 range and up.