Dryer Fire Damages Batavia Home Thursday Morning
The blaze occurred on the west side at about 8 a.m. Thursday. The family will have to find temporary housing. Here's what happened.
A dryer fire left a home badly burnt on Batavia's west side Thursday morning.
The fire occurred at 535 Houston St., according to the Batavia Fire Department. Firefighters were dispatched to the blaze at 8:09 a.m. Thursday.
On arrival, the fire crew found a two-story single family home with part of the first floor well involved with fire. The laundry room, bedroom, and living room all had extensive fire and smoke damage, according to a press release.
All occupants were outside the home when Batavia fire crews arrived.
Randy Banker, a Batavia Fire battalion chief, confirmed that the family will have to find temporary housing.
Aftermath and Firefighter Injury
The fire started inside of a dryer and then extended to the rest of the laundry room, the Fire Department said.
Then the blaze spread outside the laundry room and to the remaining rooms on the first floor. The fire caused $40,000 in structural damages and $20,000 in damages to contents of the house, the press release said.
The fire was under control at 8:30 a.m. and eventually extinguished. The house was searched, and the second floor was found to have extensive smoke damage.
One firefighter sustained a back injury during the initial fire attack, and was transported to a local hospital for care.
About the Fire Crew
A total of 35 personnel were at the scene, with the first unit arriving at 8:10 a.m. The last unit was cleared at 10:16 a.m.
The following agencies were at the fire scene assisting Batavia:
- North Aurora
- St. Charles
Batavia Station Fill-ins
- Fermi Lab
- West Chicago
This fire was in the same neighborhood as the basement fire on Jefferson Street that occurred on Jan. 14. Beyond geography, the fires are otherwise not related. To read about what happened in the Jan. 14 fire, click here.